Coffee Vanilla Cake with Whipped Caramac and Espresso Icing ?
I’ve been eating this all week! Want to join me? Here’s the written recipe for that coffee-vanilla sponge cake I shared over on stories. Judging by the amount of DMs I’ve been receiving I think you guys might like a slice (or two), so don’t forget to SAVE this post ?
Preheat oven to gas 4/180c/180f and line the base and sides of a standard square brownie pan [20cm x 20cm] with parchment. Just the cooking timings as needed if you use a different sized pan.
CAKE INGREDIENTS + METHOD:
170g cooking butter (margarine)
170g golden caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
– whip the above together until pale and fluffy, then add:
255g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 medium eggs
50ml strong espresso coffee OR 1tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 2tbsp hot water
Optional: 1-2tsp coffee extract for extra oomph
– tip: alternate adding the flour and eggs to prevent splitting, and make sure your coffee is cooled. Give everything a good whip for a couple mins for a nice fluffy cake.
– pour the finished cake mix into the tin and pop into the oven for 40-45mins (I check from about 35mins until a toothpick comes out clean and the top ‘bounces back’). Cool in the tin for 10mins then remove to cool completely on the rack whilst you make the icing.
ICING INGREDIENTS + METHOD
125g icing sugar (sieved)
80g softened butter
1-2tsp coffee extract
50g melted golden chocolate (Caramac) or swap for white/leave out
Optional decorations: broken-up thin shards of chocolate (I used a mix of gold and dark) + 1/2 tsp espresso powder for sprinkling over the top
– really whip up the icing sugar, softened butter and coffee extract (I use a stand mixer with the beater attachment) until super creamy. A good few mins on medium-high speed. Pour in the melted chocolate. Whip again for a few seconds.
– spread it all over the cooled cake in a thickish layer. Decorate as you like. Cut into squares and enjoy!