[recipe] crunchy, warming, squidgy, cheesy goodness AKA spinach and ricotta hand…
[recipe] crunchy, warming, squidgy, cheesy goodness AKA spinach and ricotta hand pies ?
I shared these little pies over on stories and wow did you guys like the look of them! They’re pretty effortless and quick to make, and they are the perfect warming treat after a chilly woodland walk (AKA my lunch break)! I’ll add some steps to stories/highlights so you can see what I did (I was rushing a bit so they’re somewhat…’rustic’…but you get the idea)! Here’s the basic recipe for 6 mini hand pies, shaped kinda like a pasty (don’t talk to me about crimping, I’m rubbish and am known to have little patience ?):
– Heat the oven to gas mark 6 and line a sheet pan with a non-stick mat/baking paper
INGREDIENTS / METHOD
– mix the below ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined:
8 frozen spinach chunks – defrosted and as much water removed as possible1 pot of ricotta cheese (250g)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp sea salt
Grated parmesan cheese (to taste) about 3 (heaped) tbsp went in mine!
1 whole medium egg
– just taste it (ideally before adding the egg) and adjust as you like.
Now for the pastry:
1/2 block puff pastry (250g)
Sprinkle of flour (for your worktop/rolling pin)
Sprinkle of cornflour (for the inside of the pie)
1 beaten egg (for double egg washing)
– roll out the pastry quite thin on a floured surface (around the thickness of a pound coin).
– cut out six medium-sized circles (I used a cereal bowl to cut around).
– sprinkle over a little cornflour in each circle (1/2tsp max went in each of mine – this just helps ensure no soggy bottoms).
– divide the filling between the circles and fold each one over, sealing the edge with a little of the egg wash.
– place them on the baking tray and brush over the egg wash, then make a small steam hole in each pie.
– at this size these should take approx. 25-30mins.
– Pop them in the oven for 15mins first, then remove and add a second egg wash for extra crispy goldenness. Add back into the oven for a further 10mins.
– once the time is up, I also like to flip them all upside down and pop them back in for another 5 to really crisp up the bottoms too.
You literally blow my mind that you can make these, shoot them and take a walk on your lunch break! Just amazing! ?
Oh wow I need these ?
WHOA! These are insane! Cutest little pies!
You had me by squidgy ?? yumm!
They are perrrrfect!! So making them!! ??
Looks sooo good?
Looks fabulous ?
They look SO good! ?
These look fab! ?
These look perfect ??
So pretty & lush ?
These sound so delish! ?
oooooh yummy ??
Oooh how glossy and delicious these look ?
Ooo… these look wonderful ???
Oh these sounds beaut ?
These look so good!!
They look awesome, definitely give these a go ?
Omg!! This is droolicious!! I can almost feel how crunchy these might be from looking at the picture alone ??