7 kitchen tips for my BEST EVER Panko Baked Fries recipe ?
1. Use good quality baking potatoes (Maris Piper and King Edward are the classics but I’m quite partial to the red-skinned varieties, like a Desiree).
2. After cutting them into ‘fries’ SOAK them in cold water for at least an hour to draw out the starch (you can speed this process up by using warm – not hot – water).
3. Realllllllly dry them off after soaking. It’s worth it.
4. Pop the pre-soaked, now dry ‘fries’ in a bowl with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil and your seasoning (fresh rosemary, lots of sea salt etc.) and the panko crumbs. Toss them in the bowl to properly coat.
5. Pre-heat your oven to gas 6 / 200c. Make sure the racks are positioned in the top section.
6. Space the ‘fries’ over x2 pizza trays (the holes in the bottom help with creating crispness) so they have enough space for airflow to get around them. If there is some seasoning/panko left in the bowl just press it into the tops of the ‘fries’ before baking.
7. They should be cooked, crisp and golden in approx. 30mins (depending on how thick you’ve cut them/how many you’re making). Swap the trays 1/2 way through cooking to ensure they each get some equal time at the top. I don’t tend to need to flip the fries if I’m using the pizza trays.
Visual steps are in my highlights – make them, they’re SO good ?